Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pickles, Pedicures and Toe Fungus!

Do you remember that I said in an earlier story that I am in love with pickles?  I love love love dill pickles. I can eat a whole jar of dill pickles myself if you let me.  However, let me warn you, the next day you do not want to be around me with the garlic seeping from my pores.  I think it is really is about the salty vinegar goodness that appeals to me the most. The garlic is just the bonus from the spicy goodness.  However, I digress my culinary tastes are not the point here.  This blog is strictly about vinegar.
I was speaking with a friend the other day when it hit me that I had sandals on with naked toes.  I commented in my embarrassment about how I needed a pedicure.  She looked down and said, “Hey do you have fungus on your nail bed?”  I laughed sheepishly and said “I don’t know, it is always yellow, I thought it was there because I do not let my toes breathe between pedicures”, she then told me that her doctor told her to take a cotton ball and use plain white vinegar or apple cider vinegar once a day on toenails that have fungus.  She said this was also good for diabetics especially because the toenails tend to get thick and ugly. 

When I did some further investigation, I found this works on toenails and fingernails.  In China, it was the prescribed medication to prevent the spread of viruses, while in Greece, ancient medical texts made reference of the different uses and qualities of vinegar. Today, apple cider vinegar is the most used for the treatment of fungal infections, being more useful as astringent than ice.  Whether white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, this is the cheapest treatment intended to eradicate fungal infections from toenails or fingernails. The acidity of vinegar relieves the itching and repairs the PH balance, necessary to combat fungi, the microorganism responsible for toenail fungus.

So try this regime, daily foot baths in a solution of 50% water and 50% vinegar. It is suggested to alternate and mix hot baths and cold baths, although in either case, it is necessary to keep your feet soaking for at least 30 minutes.  On the other hand, for better results apply directly on the base of the nail twice a day, and is even better than soaking your feet. However, you must make sure that vinegar will remain in place long enough to benefit from the solution.

So if you can stand the vinegar smell try it, all vinegars are non-toxic so drinking vinegar will not harm you of course but will kill that pesky fungi on your feet.  However, I say stick to the pickle juice to drink and 
pour the vinegar foot bath down the drain!
To better looking toenails for everyone!  Love and Light to you!


1 comment:

  1. You can combine such treatment with a healthy diet that includes yoghurt and turmeric meals. This will assist in boosting your immune system and fight the fungus.PurNail Reviews

    ReplyDelete